The new Windows 8.1 lets you watch movies or play games with Xbox, Skype with friends, access files anywhere with SkyDrive, or find your next favorite app in the Windows Store.
Windows 8.1, now with a new Start screen
- With the new Windows, you can watch movies or play games with Xbox,
Skype with friends, get work done with Office, access files anywhere with
SkyDrive, or find your next favorite app in the Windows Store. And you can
get to it all from the new Start screen, even your familiar desktop.
Your familiar desktop
- From the Start screen, you're just a click away from the familiar
Windows desktop you know, so you can do the stuff you've always done.
Your own unique start screen
- Personalize your Start screen with your favorite news, friends, social
networks, and apps. Customizable colors and backgrounds and four different
sizes of tiles make your Windows as unique as you are.
Mouse, keyboard, and now touch
- Windows 8.1 works with different types of devices, including touch,
mouse-and-keyboard, or both. Discover fast and fluid ways to switch between
apps, move things around, and go smoothly from one place to another.
The apps you want
- In addition to great built-in apps for email, people, photos, and video
editing, you can also download thousands of popular apps from the Windows
Store, including Netflix, ESPN, Skype, and Halo: Spartan Assault.
Works hard, plays hard
- Windows 8.1 gives you the power to quickly browse, watch movies, play
games, polish your resume, and pull together a killer presentation-all on a
single PC. Now you can organize up to three apps on your screen at once in a
Your Office, your way
- Experience Office at its best on Windows 8 devices. Discover new and
better ways to create, edit, and browse-using a keyboard, pen, or
touchscreen. Don't forget: Office is not part of Windows 8.1.
||1 GHz or faster
|Required hard disk space
||20 GB available
|Required video card
||1366 × 768 screen resolution; DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM
||Internet access (fees may apply)
|Other system requirements
||Microsoft account required for some features. Watching DVDs requires
separate playback software.
|Additional system requirements
||Some features such as touch may require a new PC. To check
compatibility, visit the system requirements page at Windows.com.