Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Services
The Remote Desktop Services role in Windows Server® 2012 provides technologies that enable users to connect to virtual desktops, RemoteApp programs, and session-based desktops. With Remote Desktop Services, users can access remote connections from within a corporate network or from the Internet.
Remote Desktop Services allows workers to work anywhere. Some of the key benefits of Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2012 include:
Unified administration experience
- Administer your session and virtual desktop collections, configure your RemoteApp programs, manage your virtual desktops, and add servers to the deployment from one centralized console.
- User profile disks allow you to preserve user personalization settings across session collections and pooled virtual desktop collections.
Less expensive storage
- Pooled virtual desktops can use local storage live migration between host computers. Personal virtual desktops can use storage located on network shares.
Automated pooled virtual desktop management
- Deploy and manage pooled virtual desktops centrally by using a virtual desktop template. Any changes, such as application installation or security updates, are installed on the virtual desktop template, and the pooled virtual desktops are then recreated from the virtual desktop template.
New and changed functionality
Remote Desktop Services enables the mobile work force to connect to desktop and applications from anywhere. In Windows Server 2012, Remote Desktop Services includes enhancements in the following areas:
- Simplified Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) deployment and management.
- Simplified Session Virtualization deployment and management.
- Centralized resource publishing.
- Rich user experience with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
The user experience has been enhanced for Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2012 in the following ways:
- Rich Windows desktop remoting experience.
- Smooth audio and video playback experience.
- Rich graphics and video user experience over a WAN.
- Enhanced device remoting support with USB Redirection for Session Virtualization and VDI.
- True Multi-Touch and gesture remoting.
|License type||Client Access License (CAL)|
|License quantity||10 user(s)|
|Server operating systems supported||Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64|