IBM is adding IBM OEM licenses of Microsoft Windows Server products to the IBM Reseller Option Kit (ROK) program for qualifying IBM Distributor participation. This addition to the IBM ROK program authorizes qualifying IBM Distributors to buy IBM OEM licenses of selected Windows Server 2012 operating systems for sale to IBM Business Partners (Resellers) for installation on IBM System x® , BladeCenter® , and PureFlexT System servers.
The Windows Server 2012 product line-up has been streamlined and simplified, making it easier for customers to choose the edition that is right for their needs. The Windows Server 2012 product family will now include Windows Server 2012 Essentials (formerly branded as Small Business Server Essentials) which is ideal for a cloud-connected first server. Windows Server Enterprise, Windows Server Web, and Windows Storage Server Enterprise editions will not be offered as Windows Server 2012 editions.
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and Standard editions will have a consistent licensing model (per processor based + CALs) and each license grants rights to run on up to two processors.
- Differentiation between Datacenter and Standard editions is based on virtualization. (There are no technical controls in software; the Virtual Machine (VM) usage rights are governed via the end user license terms.)
- Windows Server 2012 Standard edition (2 CPU) includes two VMs per license and Windows Server Datacenter edition (2 CPU) includes unlimited VMs. The Datacenter and Standard edition code base and features are identical.
- Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter editions will continue to require Windows Server CALs (Client Access Licenses) for every user or device accessing a server. Some additional or advanced functionality will continue to require the purchase of an additive CAL. These are CALs that you need in addition to the Windows Server CAL to access functionality, such as Remote Desktop Services or Active Directory Rights Management Services.
The Reseller Option Kit (ROK) for Microsoft Windows Server Operating Systems has the following prerequisites:
- The ROK must be ordered with or for usage on System x , BladeCenter , and PureFlex System servers.
- The ROK is supported on System x , BladeCenter , and PureFlex System servers.
- The Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese media kit contains DVD optical media. It is recommended that an optical DVD drive be configured with the server.
- The Multilingual media kit contains dual-layer DVD optical media. It is recommended that a dual-layer-capable DVD drive be configured with the server.
|Compatible products||Windows Server Foundation 2012 (1CPU)|